Internship science writing / communication at EMBL
Vacancy Notice from European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL)
Science writer (internship)
EMBL is looking for a passionate and creative writer to help explain, promote and advocate the work of EMBL, a world leader in molecular biology research and service delivery.
In this role you will work closely with other writers and communicators to produce content to inform and engage EMBL’s key audiences.
Content you produce will be used across a variety of channels including scientific journals, reports, websites, social media and within multimedia content.
Day-to-day activities will include:
• Interviewing, fact checking, researching
• Synthesising and repackaging content for specific audiences
• Writing, editing and subediting content
• Developing and applying standards for language, format and style
• Managing content online
Prerequisite skills, competencies and aptitudes
• Ability to understand complex scientific concepts and articulate these in engaging ways appropriate to a variety of target audiences
• Excellent analytical skills, eye for detail
• Ability to respond positively to critical feedback
• Excellent German (a good working knowledge of English is a plus)
• Scientific background is a plus
You will join writers, designers, web producers and communicators in the Strategy and Communications team. We’re an international, friendly and supportive team, with ties to
scientists and professionals throughout EMBL.
This is a training position suitable for a masters-level graduate looking to gain experience in science writing and communications. Here’s what you’ll get:
• Experience working in an international, collaborative environment in one of the world’s most respected centres for basic life science research.
• Experience of the entire editorial cycle of corporate communications, from planning to delivery. You will build a portfolio of work that can include news pieces, features, social media posts, backgrounders and printed content.
This is a six month position with the possibility to extend for a further six months on mutual agreement. The position is based at EMBL’s site in Heidelberg, Germany. The position comes with a stipend and on-site accommodation.
Please apply by contacting Adam Gristwood on firstname.lastname@example.org and providing a CV, a cover letter and the contact details of two referees.
Deadline for applications
Sunday 3 July 2016